On July 2023, a storm produced significant Milton, Georgia hail damage that wreaked havoc on homes and properties. The combination of cold weather mixing with the existing warm temperatures created hail larger than 1″ which damaged roofs, gutters, and other exterior parts of the property. This post will show damage that was seen in Brierfield, among other hail impacted areas in Milton, GA.
Golf ball-sized hailstones rained down from the sky, pounding homes for an extended period. This storm produced obvious damage to the shingles.
Hailstones can cause extensive damage to the fiberglass mat of the shingles and shortening the lifespan of the roofs when they are of sufficient size and velocity as in this case.
Will Insurance cover my hail impacted roof?
Insurance companies look for several items when considering whether to cover roof replacements for storm damage:
- Sudden and Immediate. Insurance companies are more likely to cover an insurance claim when the damage is sudden and immediate and directly tied to a specific storm event. This eliminates the thought that the damage was caused by a lack of maintenance, and instead, a covered loss such as hail and wind.
- Extensive damage. The more damage that exists, the more likely an insurance company is to cover the cost of replacement. In this case, soft metals, shingles, and window screens were all damaged extensively, so coverage is more likely.
- Policy Coverage. Your specific policy will determine the amount of coverage, and if there are any exclusions or additional costs when filing an insurance claim. Exclusions might apply if the below are in your policy:
- Cosmetic exclusion. If the hail did not structurally damage a shingle, the replacement might not be covered.
- Hail and wind deductible. Some carriers require additional deductible costs when filing an insurance claim.
Steps to Filing an Insurance Claim for Hail Damage
If you decide to file an insurance claim for hail damage, follow these steps:
- Document the Damage: Take clear photos and videos of the hail damage to your roof and gutters. Make a list of any visible damage or leaks inside your home.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Reach out to your insurance provider promptly to report the damage and initiate the claims process.
- Schedule an Inspection: Your insurance company will likely send an adjuster to assess the damage. Have a roofer present during the inspection to ensure all damage is properly documented.
- Follow the Claims Process: Work closely with your insurance company throughout the claims process, providing all necessary documentation and information.
The Alpharetta hailstorm of July 20, 2023, was a stark reminder of the unpredictability of weather events. If your home’s roof and gutters suffered damage during this storm, don’t hesitate to contact Bird’s Eye Roofing for a free inspection. Doing so can provide the financial relief needed to repair your home and restore it to preloss condition. Remember to document the damage, contact your insurance company promptly, and follow the claims process diligently. By taking these steps, you can ensure that your home is restored to its former glory, even after the fury of Mother Nature.